Progent Scleral Lens Cleaner
Progent is The Deep Cleaner for scleral lenses. When you want a truly clean lens, Progent can do what no other lens cleaner can do anywhere near as effectively: remove all the protein. Other things can maybe get you partway there, but I think no matter who you ask, you will consistently hear that for those who actually need this kind of deep cleaning (not all of us do, by any means, or at least not regularly), Progent is best.
Progent has been around a long time. So why are we just now starting to stock it? Well, there are a few things that influenced both not stocking it before, and the decision to start now.
- It's complicated to use, and it's basically bleach. You really have to follow the instructions very carefully to use it safely and effectively. You don't want to be drowsy or tipsy while handling it, because if you get it in your eye, you will be Very, Very Unhappy. We prefer to leave this kind of things to eye doctors to determine whether their patient is likely to be compliant with the instructions. (In fact, many eye doctors do this deep cleaning for patients in office when necessary, rather than having patients do it themselves.)
- It strips Hydra PEG. So I worry about people with Hydra PEG coating using it and stripping off their coating. The fact is, a lot of scleral lens users aren't told about Hydra PEG. My strenuous advice to you is, do not buy this product unless you have confirmed that you don't have hydra peg, and unless your doctor is happy with you using it.
- The lens case that is designed for "Progenting" scleral lenses is not safe for use with Clear Care. But it's a better design, and cheaper, than the PROSE disinfection case, so it will be very tempting to those who don't know any better. I am worried about people buying the case, using it with Clear Care and experiencing a minor explosion in their bathroom.
On the other hand, we have a large and rapidly growing community of scleral lens users with advanced corneal diseases who are experiencing a lot of protein issues that are difficult to deal with in any other way. All this, in the context of an optometric community whose interest in scleral lenses is exploding. Many of them are new to this and don't know everything. Their patients are flocking online to learn more. And we want to be here for them.
On balance, at this time it feels like a better path to raise awareness of this product by stocking it, while at the same time loudly urging caution and admonishing everyone to talk to their lens providers about it.
By the way, Progent 7-treatment kits come with a case that is not designed for scleral lenses. You have to pitch that one and use an extra large one. Those of you who discard the Clear Care case and substitute the PROSE case are used to that kind of routine. (Thankfully, no catalyst headaches with Progent.) To make this simpler and more obvious, we are selling Progent packaged with the extra large case, since there is no way any size scleral could fit in the original case.
Finally, in the spirit of a true scleral lens nanny...
Please repeat after me:
- I WILL NOT USE PROGENT ON A HYDRA PEGGED LENS.
- I WILL NOT USE THE PROGENT CASE WITH CLEAR CARE.
- I WILL FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.
Shipping instruction goes here