Ocutherm Premium Thermal Kit
About OcuTherm Essentials
- Premium eye compress kit
- Can also be used for cool compresses
- Conforms to the eyes/face
- Kit includes: (1) OcuTherm compress unit, (1) 30-ct package of OcuTherm Thermal Hygiene Sheets, (1) 3.75 fl oz bottle of OcuTherm Thermal Treatment Solution and (1) instruction manual.
My experience and what I think
(Sept 2020) I test a lot of products. This is the first one in a long time that delivered a serious "Wow!" factor.
Before you read any further, let me caveat this by saying that I have no idea whether YOU will like it or whether it's worthwhile for you to try it. I only know I liked it a lot. I am distinctly aware of the wide ranges of likes and dislikes when it comes to warm compresses - including my own. Some compresses are large, some small, some smooth, some knubbly, some moist, some dry, some easy-wash, some scary. We all have different needs, preferences and tolerances.
The first time I tried this out, I was not expecting any surprises. But I just... felt... so... goooooood the entire time it was on. There was a very real "je ne sais quoi" factor. I lay down with this thing on my face and I just did not want to get up again. It was simply so relaxing. When I tried to analyze it, I came up with two main things: One, it sinks in and conforms super well to your eyes and face, something I look for in all compresses, but none has ever delivered this well. Two, the material, I concluded, must be a lot softer than any other type of gel pack I've used. There's a particular feel most plastic casings have on my skin and this one, in my experience, is different and better.
Anyone who knows me well knows that I loathe the hyperbole of marketing language. I feel embarrassed thinking marketing words, let alone writing them down or saying them out loud. But the word "hug" kept coming to mind, like this thing just held my face so completely and gently. Have you ever used a weighted blanket? It was also slightly reminiscent of that, somehow, but for the eyes and upper face.
I am supposed to be describing a dry eye product, not a spa or therapy session. I just can't help sharing what the experience was like. But to make this more relevant to the MGD crowd: Because of the way the compress conforms to the eyes, I actually feel confident it will do a better job delivering heat to more of the gland orifices in each lid than any other home care item I've tried. I make no medical claims for this product though (nor for any other on the site). It's up to each one of us with MGD to get good medical advice about MGD and how to treat it.
Pros and cons
I am listing these together because, in some cases, one person's "pro" might be another person's "con", once you get past the first few!
- Feels so nice!
- Superbly designed, with a very soft, pliable gel pack, an outer cover to maximize heat retention, and an excellent strap design that is both secure and comfortable.
- Conforms completely to the lids, for maximal contact and heat transmission.
- 3-part: Compress, hygiene sheet, spray. This is good for those who like the luxury approach, but too much work for those who want the lowest possible hassle factor.
- Large. This will be great for many of us. However, those who have facial rosacea may will not want that much heat over so much of their face. Thermoeyes are a better choice for limiting the heat to a specific application area.
- Microwave heated: Handy for everyone except... those who do not use microwaves. Check out Thermoeyes for instant or water-heated compresses; The Dry Eye Doctor for oven-heated; or EyeGiene for disposable instant ones that you don't have to boil afterwards.
- Cost: Definitely on the high end of the market, AND involves consumable products. I imagine some users will make their own sheer cover for the eye-side. However, we are making the solution and the sheets available on subscription for extra savings.
Safety first: Do not overheat
One concern that I have with OcuTherm AND every other microwavable compress on the market is the risk of overheating and potential for burns. I hear now and then from patients whose doctor told them (about any brand of bead-filled compress, or an egg or a potato or whatever they're using) "get it as hot as you can stand". All I can say is I hope these doctors have good medmal insurance.
You can burn your cheeks, eyelids and even corneas with an overheated compress. You do NOT need scorching heat to treat your MGD. You need to raise the temperature in your meibomian glands, but... not to a slow rolling boil. In my microwave, 25 seconds worked. 30 seconds was uncomfortably hot. More than that would have felt unsafe. Your microwave will be different.
See instruction manual enclosed with kit.
The Problems: Why patients needed a better eye compress
- Heat Loss and Poor Hygiene: Wet washcloths lose their heat too quickly. Daily contact with re-used materials may increase the risk of microbial contamination.
- Poor Ocular Fit: Basic heat mask eye compress design leads to inefficiency and discomfort. Head straps pull the mask forcibly against the eyes.
- Lack of Moisture; Dirt Accumulation: Dry heat mask eye compresses do not provide the moisture needed for clean, moist heat therapy. Fabric materials easily accumulate dirt.
Our Solutions: Ophthalmologist-invented and tested
- Hygienic, “Clean-Barrier” Materials: During heat therapy, the only material that will touch your eyelids is a fresh, single-use OcuTherm Sheet. We entirely avoid the accumulation of dirt that is commonly seen with fabric heat masks.
- Anatomically Precise Therapy: The OcuTherm Eye Compress Unit is designed to allow OcuTherm Gel to flow and conform precisely to the shape of your closed eyelids, so it delivers heat therapy in a gentle and efficient manner.
- Long-Lasting, Moisturized Heat: OcuTherm Gel provides enough thermal energy to deliver complete treatments with minimal heat fading. The pre-treated OcuTherm Sheet ensures that you receive moisturizing heat therapy.
Enhanced Capabilities: Comfort-driven performance
- Extended Treatments without Re-Heating If you feel the heat fade but you need the treatment to last longer, you can increase the heat immediately, without getting up from your chair or couch. Our Heat Recharge™ method even creates an easy form of heated eyelid massage, recommended by dry eye specialists.
- Eyelid Cleaning: After treatment, when heat and moisture have loosened eyelid debris, the clean areas of the OcuTherm Sheet can be used to gently and easily wipe the eyelids and eyelashes. Our ultra-soft material is designed to be pleasant and non-chafing.
- A Full Range of Temperatures: In addition to moist heat therapy, doctors often recommend cool or cold eye compresses for a variety of medical reasons.* From hot to cold, the OcuTherm System easily provides steady, lasting eye compress treatments at any therapeutic temperature. (* For example, cool or cold therapy can be used for allergic conjunctivitis; migraines and headache; sinus pain; postop eyelid surgery; and other conditions.)
The OcuTherm Essentials™ Kit includes one Complete OcuTherm Eye Compress Unit (see front and rear views in the photo gallery), as well as materials for your first 30 treatments: one package of OcuTherm Thermal Hygiene™ Sheets (30-count), and one travel-size bottle of OcuTherm Thermal Hygiene™ Solution (sufficient for 30 to 35 treatments). A full-color Instruction Manual is also included.
- Ophthalmologist-Invented and Formulated
- Clinically and Laboratory Tested
- Designed and Assembled in U.S.A. from U.S.-Made and Globally Sourced Materials.
OcuTherm Gel is designed for superior thermal performance and relies upon our proprietary Gel formula, which maintains its temperature for an exceptionally long time. OcuTherm Gel is enclosed in a flexible FDA-cleared waterproof polymer casing, which can be wiped cleaned in seconds. Patients typically choose to replace OcuTherm Gel every 2 to 3 years; replacement is quick and easy.
OcuTherm Thermal Hygiene Sheets
30-Count resealable package. OcuTherm Sheets have a soft, non-chafing texture perfect for delicate eyelid skin, and are supplied lightly pre-treated with OcuTherm® Formula. All sheets also include our unique HeatZone™ design, which helps to focus heat directly onto the eyelids during OcuTherm treatments.
OcuTherm Thermal Hygiene Solution
3.75-oz bottle of OcuTherm Thermal Hygiene™ solution, formulated for OcuTherm therapy, is designed to provide support for the eyelids and surrounding skin, both during and after moisturized heat treatments. Depending on use, each bottle typically provides enough solution for 60 to 90 treatments. A fine-mist sprayer ensures precise application.
Shipping instruction goes here